A scripting language is an excellent way to start learning coding and programming since it is not too difficult to learn, and you can use it for your professional interests. Data structures and algorithms in most programming languages are similar. Only the syntax differs, making learning a particular language an asset as you can apply the same knowledge to learn any other scripting language. For any coding position, you must understand the fundamentals of coding, build data structures, and use them to solve real-world problems. This article at Hackeroon by Rohit Lakhotia introduces scripting languages and their types.
Scripting Language vs. Source Code
Languages used for scripting are interpreted, not compiled. Source code is translated into machine code by both interpreters and compilers. Before the application runs, a compiler will change the source code into machine code (generate an.exe), whereas the interpreters translate the program’s code into machine code.
While the script is executed on the client’s computer in the client-side scripting language, in the server-side scripting language, the script is executed on their respective web server. A server-side script is more secure since the client cannot read the script.
Scripting Language Use, Advantages, and Disadvantages
Scripting languages are used for:
- Both client and server side of web applications based on your requirements.
- System administration. For instance, Shell, Perl, Python, etc.
- Generating plugins and extensions for programs that already exist.
- Both games and multimedia applications.
- Ease of compiling and linking the source code.
- The client-side server can reduce the demand on the web server.
- Flexibility to combine different programming languages on the same web page.
- Quick and easy to learn.
- Complex scripts can be time-consuming to write and test.
- It is possible to exploit or modify code.
- Compatibility with some browsers can be difficult.
- Scripts may not adhere to the same coding standards as programmers.
To read the original article, click on https://hackernoon.com/introduction-to-scripting-languages-la1r3u2h