If you are beginning your coding career and writing your first HTML file, remember you do not need fancy software to write or edit the HTML for a web page. Windows 10 Notepad works as the primary text editor you can use for editing HTML. Once you are comfortable writing your HTML in this simple editor, you can look into more advanced editors. Furthermore, you can find similar editors in Mac and Linux operating systems. However, experts believe that default and simple text editors like Notepad can speed up beginners’ workflow. In this article at freeCodeCamp, Kolade Chris explains how to open web page code in Windows Notepad.
Steps to Make a Simple Web Page with an HTML File
“You can use Notepad to code in two ways: launch Notepad directly from your Windows machine and start coding and then save the code later, or create the file and open it with Notepad,” says Chris. This article explains the latter.
How to Create an HTML Document
- Create a folder on your computer.
- Click on the ‘View’ tab on the main menu. Ensure that ‘file name extensions’ is clicked.
- You can also use .html or .htm for the extensions. However, do not save the file with a .txt extension.
- Open the saved file in your favorite browser by double-clicking on the file or by right-clicking and choosing the ‘open with’ option.
- Paste the code to the Notepad file and save the file by pressing Ctrl+S. Remember, Notepad does not autosave. Instead, you must manually save the file.
- To make additions or changes to the web page, return to the saved Notepad file and make the changes. Resave the file and then view your changes in a browser.
To read the original article, click on https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/html-file-text-editor-how-to-open-web-page-code-in-windows-notepad/.